Storyteller class, Summer 2013.
Sometimes I stay up late buying books online and then I can’t sleep because I’m so excited.
Favourite book: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I can’t count the number of times I’ve read this book. I may never have read it if it weren’t for my favourite English teacher, Mr Gladwin, who made literature come alive.
Favourite movie: It would have to be either 12 Angry Men or 10 Things I Hate About You
10 Things I Hate About You is another film that I’ve watched probably 100 times. I used to work in a video store and every Saturday morning I would put this movie on in the background while I worked. 12 Angry Men is the reason I originally wanted to study law. I quickly gave that up after I realised law wasn’t always this exciting.
Favourite song: Piano Man by Billy Joel
This needs no explanation.
Today was spring cleaning day at work. My school is shut down for three days while it’s being renovated, so we spent the day sorting out our office and belting out Disney songs. We threw out more bags of recycling than I ever thought possible, and managed to find a spot in our tiny office for each of our twenty teachers.
Also wandered down to Taojin to check out the new Mexican place, Mr Pancho’s. $5 burritos = so much happiness. The people there were super nice and patient with our endless questions, and the food was simple and authentic.
all in all, a successful day in China.
I do this all the time with my classes!
1. I am terrified of the sound of balloons popping. We do a balloon animal life club (activity class) with the kids and I have never been put in charge.
2. I currently think in a British accent. I want to blame Aaron (an ex-coworker and possibly the most British person I have ever known) but I haven’t talked to him in over a month so that can’t be it.
3. I dislike drinking water out of cups. This isn’t limited to disposable cups - mugs, glasses, anything. I only drink water out of water bottles.
4. I love peanut butter but hadn’t eaten it for 10 months until yesterday.
5. I think about the future all the time but change my future plans almost daily.
Not much of a selfie-posting person, but me and my lungs are off to get our (hopefully) last scan and WE ARE EXCITED.
Also, yes I need a haircut and that will happen tonight.
— Death Cab For Cutie
when I see you
I really see you upside-down
but my brain knows better
it picks you up and turns you around